What do I need for a new dog or puppy?
Getting a new dog is quite exciting but can be a bit overwhelming. Here is list of items we recommend for your dog.
- Collar and Leash– start with a puppy collar until he/she is fully grown
- ID Tag (if not microchipped)
- Doggy Waste Bags & Dispenser
- Pooper Scooper
- Food and Water Bowls – we recommend stainless dishes
- Dog Food
- Food Storage Container
- A Crate with a Crate Pad
- Nature's Miracle (for Accidents)
- Flea and Tick Preventative (after 8 weeks of age)
- Doorway Gate
- Wee Wee Pads – for housebreaking
- Harness – these teach the dog to walk with pulling
- Training Reward Treats
- Treat Pouch (essential for Obedience School)
- Chew Deterrent – we recommend Bitter Apple
- Dog Brush - this will be dependent on your breed
- De-matting comb for long haired dogs
- Furminator – most dogs shed (despite what you may have been told), we highly recommend this item.
- Nail Clippers – start with puppy nail clippers. These will have to be replaced when the dog gets older.
- Styptic Powder (first aid for a bleeding nail)
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste (or Finger Brush)
- Grooming Wipes - for between baths or trips to groomer
Bedding and Travel:
- Dog Bed – get something inexpensive to start. Puppies like to chew.
- Pet Carrier (for smaller dogs)
- Car Seat Belt with Harness or Seat Belt Attachment
- Car Seat Cover or Hammock (to protect seats)
- Collapsible Travel Water and Food Bowls
- All Purpose Dog Blanket
Toys and Chews:
- Long Lasting Chews – this will help fight boredom and focus attention on the proper things to chew.
- Fetch Toys – establishing an exercise routine is important for overall health of your dog
- Rubber Toys (such as Kong) – these are excellent for puppies who are teething.
- Edible Chews – We recommend No-Hide chews and Bully Sticks. Excellent for helping keep teeth clean.
And last, but not all the love and patience you've got to give.
Give us a call and set up an appointment. Our staff is well trained to help you choose the right products for your breed of dog. We can also help you find the right food for your dog’s nutritional needs.